CONNECTING TO THE GOSPEL
THROUGH FLY FISHING INSTRUCTION
This program of classes and field trips is designed to connect you with others who love the great Oregon outdoors and help you learn about fly fishing. Beginners as well as seasoned fly casters are invited. The group meets from mid-winter to late summer on Saturdays for outdoor classes and field trips that follow specific learning objectives. You can jump in on any class or field trip without having to attend from the beginning.
Open to all, ages 12 and older. (12-17 year-olds need a parent or adult sponsor). A great activity for individuals, couples, Father-Son, Mom-Daughter, …etc. Loaner equipment is available upon asking.
September 8-10, 2023
Join us for our Annual campout, in beautiful Central Oregon. Rainbow, brook, and lake trout opportunities! We will be camping lakeside.
Your instructors provide teaching on the Deschutes river nearby and some limited lake instruction may be available as well. Also – we make you a full Sunday breakfast!
This year, we’re at North Twin Lake Campground, just north of Wickiup Reservoir.
We have limited slots, so sign up early. We can provide you a ride and loaner rods, waders, and boots if you let us know well in advance.
Sites 5, 14, and 15, all on Loop 1, are reserved Fri-Sun.
You can arrive Fri, but there will be no formal instruction until Sat.
Please check in with us when you arrive on site, and depart for home.
Please arrive at Site 5, between 10a-Noon, Sat Sep 8th.
Sunday breakfast 9a by your instructors!
Check out time is NOON on Sunday.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW:
- Do you need a ride?
- Do you need an instructor or just a few pointers?
- What day/time will you arrive approximately?
- What day/time will you depart approximately?
- What are your sleeping accommodations (tent, car, ..etc)?
All levels welcome. 12-17 year olds need an adult sponsor onsite.
See Map attached in pics. To navigate, plug this address into Google Maps: North Twin Lake Campground (it’s just North of Wickiup Reservoir)
Directions from Bend, OR: Travel 26.8 miles south on Highway 97 to Wickiup Junction, then 11.0 miles west on County Road 43, then continue 4.6 miles west on County Road 42, and finally 0.2 miles south on County Road 4260.
It’s about 3.5 hours with no stops from Beaverton.
There is NO fresh water provide at this campground.
Fishing License Info
– You only need the “Angling License”, (Annual $44, or 2 Day at $23 each).
– You WON’T need the “Columbia River Basin Endorsement”.
– You WON’T need the “Combined Angling Tag”.
You can purchase them at a sports store or online
The river has some fast current and plenty of fall risks and deeper pools. The lake is deep. Both are cold. There may be some occasional snakes, chiggers, and ticks. Plenty of mosquitos. Hot weather can present a risk of heat stroke. Dress appropriately and hydrate frequently. Use bug spray, sunscreen, and perhaps a walking staff.
• Check the forecast.
• Bring camping gear, WATER, lunch, dinner, bug spray and sunscreen.
• Wading boots with cleats highly recommended. We have some to loan. Let us know your boots size or purchase your own.
• You will catch ~5x more fish if you wear POLARIZED shades, not regular, while dry fly fishing.
• Waders recommended here, but not critical. We have some loaner pairs. They probably all leak. Builds character. Some neoprene wader socks available, too.
• There may be some opportunities to learn lake fishing from a float tube. Waders highly recommended in this scenario.
• Flies recommended: Any #8-#14 dry fly, like Elk Hair Caddis, Blue Wing Olive, Parachute Adams, and Purple Haze. Get a few Bead Head black and green Wooly Buggers. BiMart best student price. Cabelas, Sportsman’s Warehouse better quality.
• Helpful: Pick up some Gink ($6), a spool of 5x tippet ($7), nippers ($7), and hemostats ($9) are helpful if you go off on your own. Dry Shake ($6) useful.
• We’ll bring a few flies for you.
• Let us know if you need loaner rod.
Every new student needs to sign a liability waiver before we start, and 12-17 year olds need adult signature on the waiver.
Limited instructors. Because of limited campground space and rules, I must allow only those with confirmed RSVP TO ME to join.
Let me know your questions. If you put your email on the waiver, I will send these instructions there, too, for printing/easy retention.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS – THERE ARE A LOT OF DETAILS HERE THAT WILL MAKE YOUR TRIP MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE.